Thursday, December 28, 2023

new, new, new


A new jib.  As a tribute to the late-great sailmaker Stuart Hopkins, the loft put their badge on the sail and then added Stuart's Dabbler Sails patch.


A new JW pennant.  The JW stands for both Pathfinder-designer John Welsford and also my folks, Janice and Walter.  I got seven years out of the first pennant, more than eight out of the second (but it was pretty well tattered and torn by the end).  The first two pennants were completely hand-sewn.  As far as I can tell that woman is no longer in business ( Dabbler Sails gone, now that pennant lady - I'm outlasting my suppliers).  This sail is on quality material but printed instead of sewn.  I think it will work.


And, because of the new paint, I had to get new registration numbers.  I never liked putting the VA numbers on as it was so difficult to align each letter/number.  Found this company that has a nice self-aligning system which should make it much easier to put on.

Sanding the cockpit today, hope to paint it tomorrow.  Then bottom paint next week.  All, of course, done to a workboat finish.

8 comments:

Shawn Stanley said...

Nice...I know a couple of the folks at Evolution in one of the VA lofts (Jerry & Stephanie) - not sure if you worked with either of them, but they are great and I am seeing good products come out of their loft!(even as an ex-Quantum guy from eons ago.)

Those new sails will be awesome.

Shawn Stanley said...

haha...comment #2 - My dumb self did not read the next post, and of course I know you know Stephanie from earlier posts! (duh..:-) - my fingers were faster than my brain! Slow down and read, Shawn!!

Steve said...

Yes, Stephanie has been a good friend for a few years now. She really took good care of me on the new jib. Steve

Clark said...

That is such a wonderful tribute to Stuart.

Steve said...

Agreed. And a very nice surprise for me.

Lorenzo said...

New .... but keeping into the tradition! I wish a safe and joyful sailing new year in 2024! Hope we can finally manage to meet on the water!

Steve said...

Best wishes to you, Lorenzo, and your family......and Newyd Marine. Have a great 2024! Steve

Anonymous said...

Looking great, ready for the new chapters...
Godspeed for 2024 Steve.
Rik