Monday, December 4, 2023

day nineteen - bored on the Bohemia


Cast off Sailing Associates 7:35.  Clear and  cool, with a light breeze.  Under power on the glassy Sassafras River.


8:20 can see a little wind ahead, raise the sails then round up to slip on the drysuit, colder than I thought.



Flocks of geese over the river, a lone eagles flies along the shore.


Wind at Ordinary Point, making 5.0 as the morning warms. Clear blue skies and a direct tack to Grove Point.  A deadrise comes off the Bay loaded with crab pots.  I wonder if it is the end of the season.


9:50 Grove Point, choppy and more wind.  10:10 out on Chesapeake Bay, waves rolling down from the north.  Red cliffs to starboard, 3.8 in the choppy water.


11:15 wind swinging to the northwest, which gives us a better tack to the Elk River.  Less waves as we sail under the lee of Turkey Point.  3.0 against the ebb tide.


The tide builds at the top of the Bay, and the wind falls off.  Struggle to make headway against the current.  Motorsailing at 12:30.  1:10 off Cabin John Creek.  1:30 better wind and sailing onto the Bohemia River.  

My third visit to the Bohemia River and despite my hopes I find it as I have found it before - a little on the boring side.  A wide river without much shape, there are few protected anchorages.  I sail up into the river just shy of Hack Point.  There are a couple of anchorages farther up the river, Little Bohemia Creek and Great Bohemia Creek, but they are near a highway bridge and do not appeal to me.  Maybe I'm tired, or maybe it is because of the deteriorating forecast for tomorrow and I don't want to get too far away from the Elk River, I turn back west at 3:30.  We round an unnamed point and put the anchor down near Veasey Cove.


23.58 NM

 

No comments: