Monday, February 1, 2010

four days to get home

Almost home. Four days of canceled flights, missed flights, mechanical problems (and also a nice stone crab dinner with my brother in Fla). But I did get to visit Cuba. Not the Cuba I would really like to see (Havana, of course), but instead we spent a day at Guantanamo Bay.
I wish I could have taken more photographs but that is not allowed on the very secure Navy base. The base is divided in to two parts, the windward and leeward sides. That is the windward side above with Guantanamo Bay to the left.
And above is a ferry we rode from the leeward, where the airport is located, to the windward side. We had dinner under the stars at a jerked chicken restaurant then spent a little time at the Tiki Hut on the edge of the bay.
And there are the tents where we got to stay at a place called Camp Justice. It was the most comfortable sleep I had had in a couple of weeks. The tents had wooden floors and dividing walls. Somehow the security fences and lights add to a good night's rest.

steve

No comments: