Sunday, February 28, 2010

thanks Mom!

After all these years Mom is still showing me the way to go.

I received a nice birthday gift from her that she suggested I spend on cruising gear. So I took her up on it and got this nice Danforth compass for Spartina. In the past we've always relied on our gps's and a handheld compass for navigation. It will be nice to have a permanently mounted, easy to read compass mounted is easy sight on the centerboard trunk case.

The compass came at an excellent price as a close-out item. So there was enough left over for a a nice leatherman pocket knife and a Kuhn Rikon paring knife for the cook kit. The pocket knife will replace the old one that fell apart on the Crab House cruise. It will supplement the Gerber multi-tool that I carry in the day storage box, something I got from Dad a few years ago.

I think Bruce will like the paring knife addition to the cook it. The very sharp blade will be perfect for cutting up potatoes, garlic, shallots, etc. I like the fact that it is bright red, it'll be easy to find in the cook kit (I plan on doing a post about the contents of the cook kit soon). And the blade cover minimizes the chance of cutting a finger while reaching it to the kit.

Mom, thanks very much.

steve

No comments: