Saturday, June 4, 2022

day twelve - you've got to be kidding me


Sails up on the Pantego River 7:05 in a light rain.  Wearing thermals and dry suit.  Making just a knot in the wind shadow of Belhaven.  7:30 through the breakwater, 3.4 in better wind.  Count a dozen boats, all most likely held up by the weather, heading up the ICW.  Just a mile and a half out on the river I begin to hear steady thunder.  Looking south on the Pungo I see nothing but dark clouds.  I check the app on my phone, a series of thunderstorms coming up the river.  I look for shelter, maybe behind Durants Point to the east or Pungo Creek to the west.  After checking the charts decide it is best to return to Belhaven.  Seems I can't catch a break with the weather.


I get in, tie up and quickly set up the boom tent as rain begins to fall.  I walk over to the marina to wait out the storms on the porch.  Very frustrated.  After a couple of hours skies begin to clear.  I start to put on the dry suit but the manager at the marina says "Cap, you're not gonna need that.  Storms are all east of us."


Cast off for the second time.  Blue skies above, fog clinging low to the river.  11:50 full sail, two tacks to make it through the breakwater.


Making 3.5 on the Pungo River close-hauled.  1:00 4.2 towards Sandy Point.  1:45 wind swings to the the south east, motorsailing with a nice pull from the sails.


On the Pamlico River 2:25, wind building out of the southeast.  Wind and waves coming from Pamlico Point.  3:20 lightning in the clouds to the southeast.


Turn back west and follow the channel that goes back behind Cedar Island, plenty of creeks there that offer good anchorage.  A few storm clouds building to the west.  I sail down to Middle Prong, drop anchor just after 4:00 with good protection to the east, west and south.  Storms build up but then slip away.  


19.96 nautical miles



 

2 comments:

Enrico said...

what a day!

Steve said...

It was, Enrico. Interesting weather trip. Hope you are doing well! Steve