Wednesday, May 3, 2023

back to the ramp, new SPOT


Back to the ramp on Scuffletown Creek this morning to haul out for pre-trip maintenance.


Always an interesting trip up the southern branch of the Elizabeth River.  This "hammerhead" crane at the shipyard has not been used in years (decades??) but is a local landmark.


Snowbirds still coming up from the south.  Interestingly there are more boats stopping in the local marinas and fewer anchoring out in Craford Bay.  I suspect this is partly due to the boats being larger than in the past (at least one marina that has been here for almost four decades had to rebuild their docks to accommodate all the larger boats) and I think the bigger boats want to hook up to power and water.  That's just a guess.


The train trestle was closed for about twenty minutes as a train crossed the river.  Unfortunately a security boom at the shipyard was open and there was clear access to an aircraft carrier, so a military patrol boat kept close watch as I circled near the trestle.  I did not photograph the yard, the aircraft carrier or the patrol boat.  The folks in uniform tend not to like that.


Good to have SPARTINA back home.  I've got some antifouling paint to take care of, some topside paint and some hardware too.

-----------------------------------------------


My "new" SPOT is up and running.  I had it in tracking mode on this morning's motor up the southern branch and it tracked as it should have.   I'll post a tracking link closer to leaving for the spring sail.

 

No comments: