Friday, February 8, 2013

white out

No, not the blizzard (and I'm just calling it the blizzard, not the fake name cooked-up from the weather channel), it's the fine residue left by wet-sanding the varnish.  I've since wiped it off with a damp paper town.  It was too cold and windy - very windy - today to varnish.  I'll try to get the coat on tomorrow.


I did pick up the new wiring harness for the trailer as the new brake lights need to be rigged and mounted in the next week or two.  And I said farewell to the old sails, shipping them off to Sea Bags at the suggestion of sailing friend Bill.  Located on an old wharf in Portland, Maine, the company paid for shipping the old sails which they will recycle and use as material for nautical themed bags and totes.  You can see some of their products here.  Once they get my sails they will tell me how many bags or items they will give me in exchange for the sails.  I don't know what to expect in return, we'll have to wait and see.  But what else was I going to do with a set of old sails?

steve

3 comments:

Bill said...

Thanks for the reminder - I shipped my two old beat-up sails to them weeks ago and just now realized I haven't heard a thing from them.

I just sent an e-mail asking what's up.

Steve said...

Bill

I would not hold my breath on getting a reply. We may have to wait until the spring thaw.

steve

Bill said...

Just got a reply a short while ago, actually! They said it was "a bit chaotic with the storm", but they unpacked my sails last week. I sent them two sails and they're telling me to pick two bags.

I'm leaving the bag selection up to my wife, who is pleased with the exchange - a couple ratty old sails taking up space in the garage are gone, and she gets two neato-cool, custom-made bags of her choosing. I figure maybe this will help the process of winning her over to liking sailing a bit more...