Sunday, June 30, 2019

new lines / bayou boogaloo


I tried out the new halyards and sheets today with a hot wind that was accompanied by the smell of boiling crawfish and the sounds of cajun music.  The lines, once adjusted properly, are perfect.  The are bright and white for now, I certainly don't expect them to stay that way.

I took a sample of the old sta set yacht braid with me to San Diego.  I had thought it was 1/4 inch line, yet when compared with the lines at West Marine my old line was wider than 1/4 inch and narrower than 3/8.  So maybe 3/8 that had narrowed, I thought.  Ian the rigger said no, it was in fact 1/4 inch that had expanded over the years (how that works I don't know).  So these lines are slightly narrower and of course much softer than the original lines.

They are also slightly longer.  I added several inches to each line so I could tie them off to the brass clips, main boom and mizzen boom with wet bowlines (basically a bowline made using a clove hitch).  The throat halyard also has an extra two feet as I plan on raising the block on the mainmast about a foot to give me more latitude when raising the main. 


The Bayou Boogaloo was in full swing at Town Point Park on the river.  I heard they had 6,000 lbs of crawfish to boil.  I did not sample any, too busy sailing.  I did snag some artwork showing some of my favorite foods from New Orleans artist Bonnie Miller.  Nice, don't you think??


I left SPARTINA on the river for some morning and evening sailing this week.  I can't wait.

No comments: