Saturday, August 22, 2020

worth watching, worth reading


The tropics are worth watching these days with storms coming across the Atlantic.  A story in The Washington Post predicted a slew of storms in late August and here they are.


Tropical storms Laura and Marco are head for the Gulf and Mexico and may cross paths in the Texas/Louisiana area, potentially a one/two punch next week.


The yellow "x" at right in the top map is a disturbance with little chance, as of now, of forming into a storm.  This map just above shows another wave coming off the west coast of Africa.  Ugh.

------------------------------------------


Worth reading is Rik's story about a capsize in his Pathfinder VANESSA.  I believe capsizing JW's Pathfinder is an extremely rare event but Rik sails in some pretty serious wind in Aruba.  Both Rik and VANESSA came out fine.  He has done small boat sailors a favor by writing about the event, you can find his story here.  

Two things I will note.  1) After the capsize he righted the boat and found she was 3/4 filled with water.  Even with all that water the centerboard trunk opening and the hole in the transom for the tiller were both above water which means the Pathfinder could be bailed after a capsize.  Good news!  2) Rik said he lost a lot of gear because it was not tied down.  That is one think I am pretty good about on SPARTINA.  Almost everything is connected with a lanyard or held in place by a bungee.  Every once in a while I do get it right.

The photograph above is from when Rik sailed with me here in Norfolk.  He life-long sailor and I remember that on our short sail he taught me a lot about sailing.  And here he is teaching me again with his post about lessons learned during a capsize.  I will read and re-read the blog several times.  Thanks very much, Rik!  Glad you and VANESSA are safe.

1 comment:

Rik_Studio said...

Thanks for the post Steve. You teach me (and others) more about sailing life than you know.
Funny to see how I sit on the coaming of SPARTINA, I love that position. Today I did some work on VANESSA, check it out...
https://pathfindervanessa.blogspot.com/2020/08/some-surgery.html