Friday, April 23, 2021

the spring trip



Time to pack for the spring trip.  That should be pretty easy with a lot of gear and food supplies still intact from the abbreviated winter sail down south.  I hope to explore Pamlico Sound, which I have sailed quite a bit, and spend more time on Albemarle Sound to the north.  On my list of things to do is visit a couple sites connected to the Lost Colony, the first attempt at an English colony in North America.  On the map above the X to the right marks Roanoke Island, the site where the colony was established in 1585.  The X at the left is Salmon Creek, the possible site of a fort connected to the colony.


That fort was marked on the Virginea Pars map but hidden for centuries by what was thought to be a patch on the map.  There is an interesting story behind all this and you can read about it here and here.


Salmon Creek is at the lower left in the map below, just across the Albemarle Sound from Edenton.  I would like to visit Edenton and maybe spend the night anchored in that little creek with a hidden history.  Wouldn't that be interesting?

 

3 comments:

Bill T. said...

A good friend of mine and his wife have been visiting Edenton repeatedly and now have decided they'll probably buy their retirement home there and move there full-time. He keeps telling me how much I would like it there.

Now you mention it, so I guess now I need to go check it out!

Steve said...

It is a nice little town with a great waterfront. I have visited by car several times over the years, never by boat. Steve.

Lisa oney said...

I want to appreciate Dr Uromi for getting me cured from Herpes Virus. It was 4 years of battle with lots of failed attempts to get myself cured until I met this amazing man Dr Uromi .3 weeks after taking the herbal treatment he prepared for me , i got cured. He is specialized in treatment of Herpes, Genital warts,Cancers, HIV, HPV, Diabetes, hepatitis etc WhatsApp:- +2349021374574. Or Email:- druromiherbalhome@gmail.com.