Tuesday, October 24, 2023

can’t walk away from wind


We arrived in Chestertown yesterday afternoon, a day earlier than planned/expected.  I had intended to spend a night on Southeast Creek and then come in this morning.  The wind was just too good, I couldn’t walk away from it.  


The morning began on Davis Creek just inside the larger Langford Creek. Small craft warnings with northwest winds gusting to the mid 20s.   I began with a double reefed main, mizzen and jib.  Once on the open water, exposed to wind and waves on the beam, I sailed under just mizzen and jib, making a little over four knots through the chop. 



It was rough on the wide part of the Chester River.  Once past Deep Point the river quickly narrows to less than a half mile wide.  I had all the wind but no longer the chop. How nice. I followed the river to Melton Point where it begins a series of curves to the northwest.  Conveniently the wind slacked and I raised a reefed main, then soon the full main.  The sky was blue and wind perfect as I bypassed a potential anchorage.  Soon I was on the Devils Reach (though the devil was apparently elsewhere at the time), tacking into a steady breeze until we rounded Primrose Point.  And there was Chestertown. 

Today is maintenance and cleaning   Tomorrow and the next few days will be day sailing on the Chester as the tall ships begin to arrive for the Downrigging Festival.

And so ends and enjoyable and interesting fall cruise.



 

3 comments:

Burney Waring said...

I love your stories and photos. Very inspirational.
Cheers,
Burney Waring

Enrico said...

What a trip, Steve!
In case of even stronger wind, did you experience to sail under mizzen only or under jib only? Any chance to go upwind with one of these "extreme" configuration? Clearly it's better to be moored in a protected place, but just in case... Cheers, Enrico

Anonymous said...

I don’t think I could go upwind with either just mizzen and jib. What I do need to try someday is sailing under just a double reefed main, no mizzen and no jib. I wonder if you or Lorenzo have tried that. I do really enjoy mizzen and jib, boat feels very well balanced.