Sunday, June 10, 2018

kitchen confidential, industrial waters, road weary


With the sad news about Anthony Bourdain I was reminded of his famous book "Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly."  I have not seen Mr Bourdain on television, I don't watch much television at all.  But I have read many profiles of the man and reviews of his writing.  So I texted my good friend Dave, the chef, sailor and all-around Bon Vivant also known as BayDog, to see if I should read the book.  The image above was texted in return.  An endorsement of the best kind.  I think this might be the perfect book for the fall sail, if I can wait that long.

------------------------------------------------------------


I have been working too hard, something that will surprise my friends who tell me that I never seem to work at all (seriously, I had somebody tell me that a little while ago).


It has been interesting and, at times, exhausting.  A couple trips to the Outer Banks, a couple of trips to the Eastern Shore.  One trip involved visiting a Panamax coal ship, Panamax meaning it is the largest ship that can fit through the Panama Canal.


And something a little more local, a little less exotic, yet equally interesting - a tug and a crane barge on the Elizabeth River.


I see these guys all the time while out sailing, it was good to meet them and get to know how their business works.


All the work has not been on the water, some of it was inland and involved more driving than I like.  That is the way it goes sometimes.  I'm tired of driving.  Hopefully I'll soon be back on a sailboat instead of watching them pass by from the bridge of a tug.

I hope to finish up the sailing log in the next couple days.




No comments: