Friday, April 1, 2011

raked


I saw them about a week ago, the masts of the Pride of Baltimore II, over at a boatyard across the river in Portsmouth.  From the highway I could not see the ship itself, just the distinctively raked masts of the replica clipper.

And then today I saw them again, this time in downtown Norfolk.  She had moved to a berth near what was once called the banana pier, then a waterfront warehouse and now the site of a museum.


After a winter of maintenance in Baltimore and being hauled out at the yard in Portsmouth, the crew was rigging the sails for the coming season.


Tall ships pass through here often from April until November or so.


I always wonder if I'm the only one that notices the masts reflected in the bank windows


or blending in with the with the tall buildings downtown.



steve

No comments: