Tuesday, November 15, 2011

on the waterfront

The Statsraad Lehmkuhl, the 97 year old tall ship that Norway uses to train cadets, came into the Otter Berth in Norfolk late yesterday afternoon.  It was a pretty cool sight.  


You can see cadets up on the yards.  They were singing the traditional sea shanty known as both "The Rolling King" and "Bound for South Australia."  Here are a couple of verses.


And as you wollop round Cape Horn
Heave away! Haul away!
You'll wish that you had never been born
And we're bound for South Australia

I wish I was on Australia's strand
Heave Away! Haul Away!
With a bottle of whiskey in my hand
And we're bound for South Australia







I could take some time to give you details about the ship and her history, but you can find that here.  Instead I'll just show you some photographs.  It was quite a sight.

steve