Monday, November 21, 2011

the last sail

There was more sun, more wind and more blue skies than had been forecast yesterday.  It was a great day on the water.  Temperatures in the high 60's, maybe even low 70's - unheard of around here this time of year.  

I sailed solo in the morning, sharing the river with a few tugs and some snowbirds heading south.   Then my daughter and her boyfriend joined me for the afternoon.  


The sailing season is over for me.  We had hoped to take Spartina to Ocracoke for the holiday weekend, but two out of the three days will have winds in the mid-20 knot range.  Below is the forecast from nearby on Hatteras Island.  I had pictured a couple relaxing afternoon sails out on Silver Lake, 25 knots of wind doesn't sound relaxing to me.


That's ok.  It has been a great year on the water.  Since we launched for the first time this year back in March we've had a lot of great day sails on the river, plus cruises on Pamlico Sound, Chesapeake Bay and Tangier Sound.  I can't complain about missing a couple of days on the water at Ocracoke.  The trip to the island will be fun even without Spartina - 13 miles of beaches, a beautiful harbor and the chance to get away from it all.  I'll post a few photographs when we get down there.

steve

2 comments:

Canoe Sailor said...

I wish you sailed all year. I just sail kayaks now and I have been really enjoying your posts and your beautiful boat.

John Edward Harris said...

Saturday was our last sail on NYC's Jamaica Bay. It is so sad to start winterizing. I have enjoyed your blog these past few months, especially the photographs.