Sunday, December 17, 2017

not a drop

It felt odd to back SPARTINA down the ramp with the masts and sails lying in the hull.  I didn't have time to go sailing, and even if I did there wasn't much in the way of a breeze.  But I wanted to know if I had fixed the leak at the centerboard pin. 


I took my usual approach to repairs:  Thinking about it and worrying about it for a couple of days, then 15 minutes to do the actual repair itself.  Total cost was $1.29 for a roll of teflon tape (in an earlier post I had incorrectly called it silicone tape which is different but might have also been useful).  Lock nut and nut loosened, I put several wraps around the bolt that serves as the cb pin, then tightened the bolts to get a nice "squeeze" from the tape to seal the leak.  


A cold day, it was quiet at the ramp  Backed SPARTINA down, tied her to the dock on Scuffletown Creek.  No leak.  Took a walk, came back, no leak.  Ran off to get a burger and fries, read the paper, returned to find no leak.  Not a drop.  

I will add the roll of teflon tape to my onboard repair kit.

No comments: