Friday, December 29, 2017

the big chill, omeals


The cold snap has ended my dreams for a last sail of the year.  I'm off this weekend but I don't expect the temperatures to break 30 degrees.  For winter sailing I like to have full sun, wind around 10 mph and a temperature approaching 50 degrees.  There will be plenty of sun this weekend, too much wind and not enough degrees.


Looking back through the log I see I made a couple of sails just before Christmas last year.  The next sails were January 31 (a sail that produced one of my favorite photos) and February 1.  This year I suspect my first sail might not come until late February. I've got some maintenance to do on SPARTINA and her trailer, plus the sails need to be washed.

---------------------------------------------


My oldest daughter gifted me with a card for REI, perfect for buying some cruising supplies. I went to their online site to buy some more freeze-dried meals and came across Omeals.  At first I thought they were freeze-dried camp meals but then realized they were in fact self-heating fully cooked meals.  The foil packet contains both a heating element and a second pouch with the meal inside.  Adding water to the foil pocket sets off the heating element.  A few minutes later there is a hot meal waiting to be enjoyed.  I bought four of the meals, dinners that will be tucked away for those 12 hour sailing days or rainy evenings.  A quick hot meal in a few minutes without breaking out the cook kit or jet boil.  Sounds good to me.




No comments: