Wednesday, April 3, 2013

southernmost

Work has kept me busy on the Eastern Shore the last several days, both Friday and Saturday I was there and then again Tuesday and today.  And I'll be back again tomorrow.  It is not a bad place to be.  Wachapreague and Cape Charles are on my schedule for tomorrow.


Each time I drive across the 20 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel I enjoy the view of the bay.  And as I leave the bay I always look east for the narrow channel between the southern tip of the peninsula and Racoon Island.  It is a pretty little channel with a few markers, marshes to the south and some woods to the north.  I have looked at the charts and have not been able to find a name for the waterway.  The water was spectacular today, clear and blue on a perfect spring day.  For over 20 years now that channel has caught my attention.  In just over a month Spartina should be heading down that very channel (marked in red above), leaving the water behind the barrier islands and entering Chesapeake Bay.  That will be the southernmost portion of the Delmarva circumnavigation.

Being a month out has got my attention.  I need to start making lists of things to do, things to buy, things to check on.  A month can go by quickly.

steve

No comments: