Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter sail

A very nice day on the water today. High 70's. Started out with light winds, then it picked up a bit (see below) for a couple of hours, then lightened again mid-afternoon.


This is the first snow bird I've sailed with this year. I did not talk to them, but I could tell they had been cruising for a while. Got a nice thumbs up from the skipper. I like boat names and often jot them down in a note book. I would have written down this boat's name but it was too easy to remember. Grace, the same as my youngest daughter's name.


I sailed by the schooner Virginia. Usually by this time she is rigged and ready to go. But the economy has her tied to the dock, topmast down and wrapped in tarps. I hope the economy picks up soon.


This boat, a Fisher 25 motor sailer, brought back a few memories. Her name in Halcyon and she is out of Philadelphia. In the late 80's and early 90's I kept my old boat, a Sam Devlin designed Nancy's China, in a slip at the Riverside Shipyard in Elizabeth City, NC. I remember seeing this exact boat, and talking to the owners, 20 years ago as I did some painting on my old boat down at the boatyard. I believe they left out of Philadelphia in the fall and headed to Fort Myers, Fla, returning in the spring. It was good to see the boat still making the journey after all these years.

steve

No comments: