Thursday, July 1, 2010

a few things

I'm still drying out my North Carolina chartbook. This weekend I'll get some fresh water and a sponge and go through it page by page. This was the sixth cruise I've used it on and it is starting to show some wear and tear.
I've also started looking at my Chesapeake Bay chartbook. I hope to do my fall sail up there in mid to late September. I think this will be a solo sail as Bruce has some family travel plans in the work. The trip might be an extended walkabout in the Tangier Sound area. Right now I'm looking at the area from Onancock, Va in the south to the Choptank River in the north. That includes Tangier and Smith Islands, plus towns like Crisfield, Saxis and Oxford. I need to start roughing out that trip.

Paul and Dawn sent a disc with their photos from the trip. There are some really nice photos of Spartina on there including the one above. Thanks guys!

We've started the daily logs for the trip. If you read them as posts they will be in reverse order (first day on the bottom then scroll up to the next day). To make it easier to read I've added a list of links(Tag Team 200 daily logs) at the right where the days will be in the correct order and can be read from top to bottom.



S R Wood said...

Steve -- I suspect it's a lot of work but I really, really enjoy these write-ups. Thanks for doing them.

How do you guys manage dishwashing on board? Smear with paper towels and forget about it (not that, um, I've ever done that)? Or hot soapy water in a dishpan?

Also I'm curious: did the four of you have VHF communications during the day?

Thanks for the inspiration, as always!

Steve said...

Seth, good to hear from you.
We use the rubbermaid tub that serves as the cook kit as the dishpan. Dishes are rinsed out first, then washed in water with "camp suds" soap. While that is going on a pot of water is boiling on the stove. All dishes are then rinsed in the boiling water, dried and repacked in the cook kit. It sounds more complicated than it really is, takes about 10 or 15 minutes from start to fishing.
Yes, we had vhf radios. I'll get to that in a later post.