Tuesday, October 8, 2013

without notes


Trying to remember the first day.  The usual anxiety leaving the house - have I got everything? what will the weather be like? if I make it all the way to Cape Lookout can I make it back?  what if something happens at the house while I'm gone?


glassy calm water in the pre-dawn darkness, the old corrugated steel boat house and my old dock just around the corner where I kept the first Spartina, rigging taking longer than expected and wondering when the wind would show up...


motoring to Millie's dock, then getting a ride to pick up the jeep and trailer at her place, she's worried about me, asking about the weather and talking about rain...


sailing into the south wind down the river then out onto Albemarle Sound, the wind picks up and the rough sound lives up to its reputation.  storm clouds coming out of the west and light winds working my way past the shoals - covered with crab pot floats and duck blinds - into the Alligator River...


houses on stilts, a guy playing guitar out on the deck, singing into a microphone for an audience of one.  the woman gives a friendly wave, I sail in close to ask about a nearby anchorage the guy flicks his wrist, motioning for me to stay off his dock.  I ask how deep it is by the island and he gives an abrupt answer.  I said I was sorry I missed the performance, the woman laughs, the guy says maybe he'll play another song after I'm gone...


anchor down, the first freeze-dried meal - beef stroganoff - excellent.  set up the boom tent for a few light showers before midnight and steady rain after that.


steve

1 comment:

S R Wood said...

Steve, this reads like a poem. I love it.