Tuesday, February 16, 2016

presto, a hull


I sometimes get questions about which boats I like for camper cruising.  There are lots of designs out there that work very well but my favorites comes from John Welsford (of course), Ian Oughtred and B & B Yachts Designs.

By way of the Chesapeake Float email list I came across this very interesting video of the hull of a B&B Core Sound 20 Mk III being unfolded in a basement.  No doubt a lot of work was involved in getting to this stage, but the unfolding seems to occur in a very brief amount of time.  As Kevin, of Welsford Navigator "Slip Jig fame," said in an email, "presto, a hull."

I do not know if the hull, being built by Steve, is being made from just plans or a kit, but in any case the video shows a very interesting construction technique.  Pretty cool.

4 comments:

Rik said...

Steve,
Did you not build your own Nancy China? That was stitch and glue also...

Steve said...

Yes, I did build a stitch and glue Nancy's China, which was a nice boat and went together simply. But it did not have the interlocking pattern cut into the sheets of plywood and certainly did not unfold like that. I can imagine the additional strength a boat gets from having that interlocking pattern (there's certainly a woodworking term for that but I don't know it).

steve

Amos said...

I just ordered a kit for the Core Sound 20 Mark III. I have a shop in Chesapeake, VA. Enjoying your blog.

Steve said...

Great. I can't be too far away. When you get to building let me know. steve