Thursday, February 17, 2011

the (not so) Dismal Swamp


Had to drive down to North Carolina today, a nice almost Spring-like day.  Blue skies, nice warm breeze out of the southwest.   I took Highway 17 which parallels the old Dismal Swamp Canal.


It feels like the seasons are starting to change.


The highway I took today is the same one that leads to Hobucken, Engelhard, Beaufort and all those other great launching places.  Every time I drive down that road I find myself wanting to just keep heading south.

steve

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Were you aware that George Washington was one of the original supporters for the construction of the canal, and that many of those posts are the petrified remains of the original bulkheading posts set by his survey party to maintain the banks, or so I've read.

Steve said...

Yes Jim, that's true. In fact Washington was involved with a plantation on the northwest corner of the Dismal Swamp where they harvested cedar trees. Lots of history in the swamp and canal. I've cruised from Norfolk to Elizabeth City using the old canal, but always on larger boats. Maybe someday on the Pathfinder.
steve

Unknown said...

Ah, Elizabeth City. Beautiful place, nice people. It would be a great trip in a canoe, too.

EyeInHand said...

One of my favorite places. And not Dismal at all.