Sunday, March 20, 2011

the inner banks on $8 a day


I did some shopping for the spring walkabout today at my favorite expedition stores - Wal-Mart and Target.  Above are the lunches.  Bruce and I have had the tuna salad with crackers for years now.  Today I decided to try the ham and chicken salads.



Breakfast will be Oats 'n Honey granola bars from Nature Valley


The main course for dinner will be SPAM single servings or salmon.


I picked up a Simply Asia meal (sesame teriyaki - noodles, sauce and sesame seeds, just add meat, fish or shrimp), plus some Couscous for another night.  Why I haven't used Couscous before I don't know.  I enjoy it, it is simple to fix (boil water, add Couscous, wait five minutes), it is healthy and goes with just about anything.  So I'll give it a shot.


Plus anchovies and smoked oysters, either an appetizer for part of a last night of the cruise ritual which you can read about here and here.



 A dozen cups of fruit - tropical fruit, mandarin oranges and cherry fruit mix - I have one with breakfast, lunch and dinner.


Plus crackers to go with lunch and as an afternoon snack.

It all comes to about $40, eight bucks a day for five days on the water.  Plus I got a few other things, including Gulp bait, below, two gallon freezer bags (great for food, clothes and eventually as a trash bags) and some chemicals for the porta-potti.  



I figure eight bucks a day is a pretty good deal for relaxing on the water and enjoying life.

steve

No comments: