Sunday, July 22, 2018

too long anchored, unknown comments

Work and weather have conspired against me.  It seems I'll go a month this summer without sailing.  A couple trips to see the daughters, a shifting work schedule and stormy weekends have left me very frustrated.  I'll try to make up for it in August by leaving SPARTINA on the water or a week of morning and evening sailing.


Above is my new backup anchor, or at least a part of it.  I had been searching online for a secondary anchor and the price was typically about $34 with $20-something for shipping.  Stopping by a Dick's sporting goods shop I found this 15# navy style anchor for $34, no shipping.  The backup anchoring system will involve the navy anchor, a bit of chain, a 5# mushroom anchor and then 75 feet of line.  The flukes of the navy anchor and the mushroom anchor will live under the ports on the bunk flat, along with water bottles and ballast weights (you can see a little bit of the red ballast) (Good to have all that weight down low and right next to the 100# steel plate cb).  The shaft, anchor chain and line will be stowed in a dry bag under the thwart.  At least that's the plan right now.

This might seem like a little bit of overkill, but sitting in the hook at Tangier Island waiting for the storm with gusts to 60 miles an hour, well there was nothing I wanted more than a good secondary anchor.  Hopefully I will never have to use it.


--------------------------------------------

Looking back through the blog just now I noticed that I have received several comments from people that I did not know about.  Up until a few weeks ago I rec'd an email each time someone made a comment.  For some reason that stopped happening.  I enjoy hearing from people and I do my best to respond.  My apologies.  I will start checking for comments now.

No comments: