Thursday, September 14, 2023

breakfast and a hike


It was a chance meeting several years ago during a day sail on Craford Bay.  Each admired the other’s boat.  Soon I was on their ketch, a day or two later Michael and Sheila were sailing on SPARTINA. 


Over the next couple of years we crossed paths many times on Chesapeake Bay.  While out on a cruise I would get a query about my location, followed by an invite for breakfast the next day. Or maybe lunch on the Tred Avon.  Or dinner on the Wye River on a stormy night.  The meetings were always unexpected, always a pleasure. 


One fall they headed south along the coast, then east across the Atlantic.  They left with plans unknown, sailing what they sometimes called the world’s slowest circumnavigation.   At the time it was about 30 years and counting since they had cast off.  


I was surprised and pleased to get an email a few weeks ago saying they were on the Algarve.  And when we got to Lagos there was an invite for breakfast on board and maybe a hike along the cliffs of Ferragudo. How nice.  


Meeting people in the water, I have found, makes for fast friends.  And I am very glad for that. 




 

No comments: