"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Wednesday, September 9, 2026

day ten - lobster on the menu


Awake at 5:30, a peaceful morning with glassy calm water.  6:05 under power, round the schooner AMERICAN EAGLE anchored nearby.  Surprised to see just one person on deck on such a pretty morning.


Out on Somes Sound a lobster float tells me I've got a helping ebb tide.  6:30 shake out the reefs from yesterday and raise the sails with a light west wind.  Motor sailing.  


6:50 a little more wind off Southwest Harbor.  Notice that the moorings in the harbor are full, and even outside the harbor there are several boats anchored.  I had heard about a flotilla of boats coming up from New York, maybe they have taken over the anchorage.  Sailing at 2.4.  

7:00 sailing, but it is the tide that is doing most of the work.  Great Cranberry Island off the port bow.  7:40 can feel the swell coming off the ocean.  


Out of the cut and Long Ledge to starboard, almost fully exposed as we approach low tide.  8:00 wind and sailing again, begin a series of tacks west to cross Bass Harbor Bar.  Making 3.5.  8:45 better wind.  


8:55 tack, sailing into both wind and tide.  9:15 on a starboard tack, can see both the Bass Harbor Bar markers and the lighthouse. 


9:35 tacking off the rocks of Mount Desert Island, 2.6 and feel a warm breeze.  Look to the southwest to see windjammers navigating the islands.


10:20 clear of the bar and and sailing northwest in light wind.  Off Bass Harbor the wind fails, underpower.  11:30 the water is like a sheet of glass, not even a hint of wind.  Follow the coast of Mount Desert Island past Mitchell Cove, Duck Cove, Goose Cove and Latty Cove.


12:00 off Seal Cove.  A lobsterman is working his pots.  I hand him a mesh bag with $10 in it, he hands it back with a lobster in it but forgets to take out the money.  He laughs as I hand him the cash.  

12:30 anchor down behind Moose Island.  I repair a couple small tears in the jib with sail tape.  Then cook the lobster with a free dried meal of Pasta Primavera, an excellent late lunch.


 18.34 NM

No comments: