"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Thursday, September 10, 2026

day eleven - sailing LOON


Sails up 7:15 in light north wind.  Calm water and sunny.  Just a brief sail around Moose Island, I've been invited to sail with a friend.


Bruce was one of my first sources of information about Maine.  He has sailed up there for years, and a friend at home had put me in touch with him.  This year he has invited me for a sail on LOON, the classic Friendship sloop that he spent years rebuilding.


Bruce arrives on his dinghy at 10:00, with both water that I had asked him to buy for me and also a batch of fresh baked cookies - how nice!


Soon we are underway, with SPARTINA left behind LOON's mooring.


It is an easy sail north, light winds and a helping tide towards the southern tip of Bartlett Island.



We grab a free morning at Dogfish Cove, enjoy a light lunch and then head into the beach for walk.


By the time we head back south to Seal Cove, the afternoon southwesterlies have filled in.


Great sailing close-hauled as we sail east of Hardwood Island, eventually heaving-to so we can tuck in a reef.  A lot of canvas on Friendship sloops, reefing comes earlier than I had expected.


An hour or two of tacking carries us back to Seal Cove.  Just a fantastic day of sailing.  A little bit out of the normal for my cruises, I enjoy every minute.


Back at the mooring, Bruce heads down below to heat up some pasta alle vongole - pasta with clam sauce - that he had prepared the night before.  That, a salad and a glass of wine, what more could I ask for?


As sunset arrives, Bruce rows back to the dinghy dock for a drive home.  I motor to an unused mooring and set up the boom tent and sleeping kit.




















No comments: