"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Monday, September 21, 2026

day eighteen - five easy pieces



Up at 5:30, calm with a broken overcast.  I listen to the sound of the rushing tide.  No rush to go anywhere, and my phone app show rain coming.  Stay under the boom tent and relax. 

Cool air comes at 8:00.  8:30 a light rain arrives with a cup of hot chocolate.  9:15 rain moves on. 

9:40 anchor up, under power.  Motor over to Matt's boat to say it was nice to meet him and wish him a good trip home.


10:00 sails up outside of the anchorage, a light mist falling.  Motor sailing with just a hint of a breeze.  10:20 enough wind to sail, making 1.0 against the flood tide.  


Soon making 0.7, blue skies sliding up from the south.  I am content with a slow drift through the small islands and ledges.  

12:30 clear skies and sunny, but no wind approaching Calderwood Island.  12:40 a little wind and sailing down the Little Thorofare with Simpson's Island to port and North Haven to starboard.  Making 1.7.  Past Simpson's Island find some wind, 3.3 on Fox Island Thorofare heading towards Iron Point.


Sail by Perry Cove, our planned meeting place for tomorrow, and then turn to the town dock in North Haven.  I usually find it full of boats but today there is plenty of room for SPARTINA.  


I take a walk through the village.  There are some high-end inns and resorts here, but the waterfront is still seems to be a place out of time.


At the community center, which has a little cafe, I am told that ice tea is not available.  The young woman at the counter says "we have hot coffee, iced-coffee and hot tea, but no iced tea."


"So you have ice," I say, "and you have hot tea," trying to channel a kinder version of Jack Nicholson's character in the breakfast scene of Five Easy Pieces.  "What if I buy a cup of hot tea, and you let me get a cup of ice?"  This strikes the woman as a funny idea, but she says ok.  I ask her if she has heard of the movie Five Easy Pieces, but she is a couple generations too young for that.  I sit at a table near the window and enjoy my iced tea. 


Cast off from North Haven at 4:00, dark clouds headed our way.  Afternoon wind is building and I use mizzen and jib to sail around Iron Point and turn up into Waterman Cove.  


Anchor down 4:30.  Skies are getting darker.  My weather app has a warning for a coming storm.  More clouds.  Thunder.  Light rain.  Then the storm quite suddenly dissipates, the skies clear.


12.54 NM

No comments: