"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Monday, September 21, 2026

day nineteen - the raft-up


A breezy morning, I raise anchor and motor up to the top of Waterman Cove for better protection.  Mid-morning texts begin arriving from Matto and Bobby.  They are both on their way to Perry Cove, Bobby coming down from up north and Matto coming up from Seal Cove on the east side of Vinalhaven.

10:45 I see them coming down the Thorofare.  I sail to Perry Cove under mizzen and jib, we all head in together.  Matto grabs a morning for TRIM, SPARTINA ties us to his port and Bobby's LAGNIAPPE ties up on the starboard side.  And the fun begins.

It's a sunny afternoon gathering, I don't think I have ever seen three Pathfinders together like this.  Between the three boats, we've got plenty of food, a few different kinds of beer and even a bottle of spirits of some sort.  We catch up on our lives, talk about our cruises.  We compare boats - Matto's was built by my friend Seth about the same time I was building SPARTINA.  Bobby's was professionally built.  They are all the same, yet slight variations here and there.  And they have all been well-sailed.  We talk a lot about sailing gear, sharing ideas and past experiences.  And we talk about our appreciation of John Welsford, after all it is his design that brings us together in this little creek in Maine.

It is just a wonderful afternoon with great friends and great boats.  Matto breaks out his drone for some aerials.  As evening comes, we cast off and separate for the night.


Photo by Matt Jensen-Young


Photo by Matt Jensen-Young

Photo by Matt Jensen-Young

Photo by Matt Jensen-Young

Photo by Matt Jensen-Young






Photo by Matt Jensen-Young

Photo by Matt Jensen-Young


No comments: