"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Friday, September 18, 2026

day fourteen - fog and a false start


If the storms that were forecast for last night arrived, I slept through them.

Wake at 6:00 to fog.  Slip back into the sleeping bag.  Up at 7:00, still foggy.  Tuck away the sleeping gear, break down the boom tent.  Ready to sail, I look at the fog and listen to the tide rushing against the wooden hull.  


9:00 fog clearing.  9:15 under power.  The flood tide has brought enough water to the cut between Birch and High Islands so I motor west to the small fleet of anchored boats.  I am pleased to see MOONLIGHT, I had met the nice folks on that boat a year or two ago.  With regret, I note that they are not around, probably off to hike on one of the islands.


Sails up making 2.9.  I am at a decision point for the trip.  Turn to port, I'll begin heading west to Portland.   Turn to starboard, it will be Penobscot Bay.  I decide to give Portland a try, only to find the wind is failing.  The bow is pointing to the south, my GPS track shows the tide is carrying us backwards.  Turn back to Dix Island.  Pass by MOONLIGHT to find that George and Pam have returned.  Stop for a moment to say hello.  It is good to see them.  I head a little farther into the anchorage and drop anchor.


It is a pleasant morning.  Windless.  But the sun feels good.  I make some tea, take a nap.


I wake to find George and Pam out sailing in their tender, I believe it is the Ellen design and she looks beautiful tacking back and for in the anchorage.  

11:30 raise anchor with wind out of the south.  12:00 Fisherman and Marblehead Islands to port, making 3.5, wind and tide have decided I will not be heading to Portland.  Instead I will explore Penobscot Bay.


12:35 jibe towards to the northwest towards Monroe Island.  Approaching the island, jibe to the northeast to cross Penobscot Bay towards North Haven.  


2:05 North Haven's Stand-In Point off the starboard, steady downwind sailing along the northeast shore of North Haven.  Beautiful sailing.  It must be a weekend day - I've lost track of the days - as there are a lot of small boats out sailing.  And bigger boats too, including the 1927 windjammer J. & E. Riggin.  Pass Wooster Cove, Barlett Harbor with wind over the starboard quarter.


3:00 see the rocky, narrow entrance to Pulpit Harbor. There is a large sloop coming out of the channel, so slack the lines to slow down.  Once the big boat is through, head to the channel, keeping the big rocks to starboard in afternoon gusts.  


Four tacks between the rocks into Pulpit Harbor, the a short run before making a couple quick tacks to Minsters Creek.  Drop the main and the jib, under power.  In the past I've anchored up in the shallows past the mooring field.  Heading that way, a man on the sloop KELLY RAE asks if I'm looking for a mooring.  I tell him I'm not, but I'll take one if one is available.  He points me to an empty mooring across the creek.

Tied to the mooring 3:30.  Boom tent up to get out of the sun.  Relax, cook dinner.  The man who pointed me to the mooring rows over and introduces himself as Rich.  A nice guy, we have an enjoyable visit.


 16.17 NM

No comments: