I wake to see Matto rowing TRIM out of the anchorage. He is off to Rockland to haul out. I can see Bobby is up and stowing gear on LAGNIAPPE, getting ready to head west to Portland.
6:05 cast off from the mooring and it is a gentle drift over to LAGNIAPPE. I tell Bobby it was good to see him, hope to see him in the fall on Chesapeake Bay.
6:50 out on Fox Island Thorofare, 3.3. Sailing into the wind with an opposing tide, it is a pleasant series of tacks with North Haven to starboard and Vinalhaven to port. 7:10 tacking west at 4.1, just a beautiful morning with clear blue skies.
8:00 light wind leaving the thorofare, making 1.9. 8:45 passing the rocks known as Fox Ears in light wind, motor sailing. 9:15, better wind and sailing past Fiddler Ledge, turn to the northwest with no particular destination in mind.
9:30 choppy and confused water as the flood tide rushes over the shallows around Drunkard Ledge.
10:00 motor sailing north. 10:15 turn northeast to stay clear of the shipping channel as the tanker NEW ENGLAND heads south on Penobscot Bay.
10:50 enough wind to sail. 11:40 rounding Robinson Rock and cutting below Mark Island. Wind comes and goes, motor sailing.
1:10 I find both the wind and a destination - Camden. Making 2.6 into the harbor known as the home of the windjammer fleet. We sail through the mooring field in the outer harbor at 2.6, boats of all shapes and sizes spread out of the water.
Round up to bring down the main and the jib, I follow the channel around Eaton Point into the Megunticook River and the inner harbor. I stop at the fuel dock but there are already a couple of boats waiting in line. I ask a guy on the dock if there is somewhere I can tie up for the night. "With a little wooden boat, you can get away with just about anything here," then he points out the harbor master's offie across the water.
I motor over there to an open dock. I'm crouched down wrapping a dock line around a cleat when I hear my name shouted across the harbor. I don't even need to look up, I know exactly who it is. I call back as loudly as I can, "Ruby!!!" She is a good friend and a shipmate from the Schooner Virginia, now working the season on the Windjammer SWIFT. It is good to see her.
At the harbor master's office they tell me to move over to the next dock and I'm good there for the night. I head up to a restaurant to get some iced tea and cool down. A walk along the waterfront, then dinner. Late evening I meet Ruby and a shipmate friend of hers at Cuzzy's for some pool and a beer. Then back to SPARTINA for the night.
16.13 NM










No comments:
Post a Comment