"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Saturday, September 19, 2026

day fifteen - north


Up before 6:00, glassy calm morning on a favorite creek.  Straighten up the boat, tuck away sleeping gear, break down the boom tent.  


I motor over to Rich on KELLY RAE, thank him for pointing out the free mooring.  He asks where I am headed today, laughs when I tell him that I am not sure.  I expect to head north, but don't have a specific destination in mind.


Outside of Pulpit Harbor I am surprised to find a light southwest wind.  Sailing at 2.2, headed north and aiming for the south end of Islesboro.  I sailed this same path once before in a thick fog and my memory tells me there is a series of small islands - Goose, Saddle, Lasell, and Lime Islands - that lead from Pulpit Harbor to the cut between Middle Island and Islesboro.  On this clear morning I can see that the string of islands is in fact a couple miles to the west, reminding me how disorienting thick fog can be.


8:50 a decent wind over the port quarter, 3.0.  9:35 Pendleton Point at the south end of Islesboro off the starboard bow, Middle Island ahead.  10:00 past Pendleton Point, Minot Island to port and less wind, making 1.0.


10:00 motor sailing at idle speed, Cradle Cove to port and a group of youngsters getting ready for a race.


Still not sure of where I am heading.  Could be Turtle Head Cove at the north end of Islesboro.  Maybe Belfast, or possibly the nice anchorages near Castine.  Plenty of time to decide.


On Gilkey Harbor a seal makes a series of leaps from the water.  10:50, rounding Spruce Island, can see the ferry dock and beyond that West Penobscot Bay.

Pass the ferry dock, turn north in light wind, motor sailing.  11:20 no wind at all, motoring at idle speed.  Getting hot. Debating going to Turtle Head Cove, a very nice anchorage, versus Belfast, which has laundry, showers and a grocery store.  12:50 wind, sailing.  Then no wind.  

2:15 wind and headed for Belfast.  There is a channel into Belfast, but instead I wind my way through the mooring field, enjoying all the boats along the way.  2:45 main and jib down, under power to the dock.  Tie up by the boat ramp, walk to the harbor master's office where I am pointed to a dock where I can spend the next two nights.


Tied up there, gear tucked away, I walk up to the Front Street Pub for a couple of large tumblers of iced tea.


A favorite town, I walk the waterfront in the evening and see the inexplicable site of a tray of donuts on a dinghy.  I smile and head off to dinner.


 18.4 NM

No comments: