"When I think of all the fools I've been, it's a wonder that I've sailed this many miles." -Guy Clark

Saturday, September 19, 2026

day sixteen - "that's gorgeous"


The day begins with a man off a large power boat tied up nearby asking how I did in the rain last night.  He asks with a certain smile that makes me wonder if he is expecting me to say it was uncomfortable or wet or whatever.  I respond with my own question.  "Did it rain last night?  I didn't notice."

Breakfast at Traci's Diner, eggs over easy, potatoes, bacon and toast.  A nice change from protein bars and beef sticks.

It is a day of chores...groceries, laundry, shower, the log book.


As I walk back to SPARTINA from Traci's, I see a beautiful schooner in the parking lot.  FELICITY has apparently been out of the water for a couple of months and she is about to be rigged and put in the water.


Off to the laundromat and, after that, a trip to the local co-op to resupply on food - some bottled iced tea, nuts and dried fruit.  Then a walk along the harbor.  Each time I come and go from SPARTINA, I see the progress on FELICITY.  A crane comes in to drop the masts in place, then a rigger up in a harness runs wire stays and rope halyards.  It is a several hour process that draws a crown.


Afternoon I'm back at the pub for iced tea and a chance to catch up on the log book.  


I'm in the parking lot by the harbor master's office as they back FELICITY into the water.  The rigger, who seems to be running the show, stands on the stern of the schooner and calls out instructions to the tow-truck driver and a guy in a skiff.  


At one point he turns around, looks towards SPARTINA and says to no-one in particular, "that's gorgeous!" and then goes back to work.  I smile.


 Late afternoon I am pleased to be tied up near the beautiful FELICITY.  The man on the power boat, the one who asked me about the rain, invites me over for a beer with him and his wife.  It is a nice afternoon.  Then back to the pub for dinner.

No comments: