Friday, January 27, 2012

the daily mail

Like an early morning breeze that hints of the coming wind, I received some mail that reminds me I could be sailing in a matter of weeks.


The nice people at Somers Cove Marina in Crisfield, Maryland sent me a free year's permit to their boat ramp.  They did this because of the inconvenience that was caused to me when the lost my check and application for a permit last summer.  It was no inconvenience at all; they found my envelope tucked in their safe, my permit arrived in time for my Fall sailing trip on Tangier Sound.

But I won't argue with them about this - the pass will save me $35 when I launch for the Spring walkabout.  Crisfield, which is about two and one half hours from here, is an excellent launching point to sail Tangier Sound.  Being that close I may use the permit a few times this coming year.


I also received half a dozen hammock hooks from Duckworks.  They make great hooks for bungee cord.  I use them several places on Spartina - up under the foredeck, under the side decks hidden behind the coaming,  between frames and beneath the cb trunk cap.  I needed two to hold the new deck slot cap in place, I ordered a few extras as I will need them sooner or later.


To catch a big fish you need a big lure.  I picked up this lure, 16 inches long with a lead head that weighs about 20 ounces, at Bass Pro Shop this morning.  I'm heading out with a some friends tomorrow morning on a fishing trip.   The striper, big ones, are still thick just off of Cape Henry at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay.  And mixed with the stripers are Bluefin Tuna.  We may catch striper, we may hook a tuna, we may catch nothing.

The weather forecast is good.  At the very least we'll have a good time.

steve

No comments: