Monday, December 24, 2018

can you see me now?

First winter sail with my new Stohlquist Amp drysuit* and I was very pleased with the results.  Temperatures starting the low 40s and then climbing to almost 50 degrees.  The water temperature is the key to winter sailing though, yesterday being 51 degrees and it will only get colder as winter goes on.  Capsizing in water that cold can of course be fatal and that's the reason for the drysuit. 

The color is "mango" and it is surprisingly bright.  My friend Rik from Aruba tells me that mangos come in a variety of color and I will bow to his tropical knowledge.  The important thing is if somebody is looking for me I will be easily found.

*a note about the cost.  I believe the drysuit lists for $625 but a little searching on the internet shows they are usually available somewhere at 25% off.


I wore my Ice Breaker thermals, jeans and long-sleeve tee-shirt and a wool sweater and found it to be comfortable and warm.  The drysuit is designed for kayakers so there is lots of mobility, feeling about the same as foul weather pants and the heavy jacket I have worn in the past.  The only difference was the snug seal around the neck but I quickly got used to that.  I do think the drysuit will add to my comfort and safety during the winters months, letting me get out on the water a little more often.


I do not take passengers out on SPARTINA from December through early March precisely because of the cold water, but those aren't passengers with me.  Those are the daughters in town for a Christmas visit and an unexpected sail.  As co-builders and members of the original crew of the little wooden yawl they are always have a spot on the boat.  


Not a lot of wind yesterday, but sunny and pleasant and and wonderful to have the crew on board.

4 comments:

Rich D said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family Steve! Thanks for posting this amazing blog! - Rich

Steve said...

Merry Christmas to you too!

steve said...

Merry Christmas and a happy new year Steve.

Steve said...

Same to you over on the other side of the pond. steve