Monday, February 10, 2020

light and variable


You can tell from the calm water in the photograph above and the reef lines in the one below that there was not much wind yesterday.  This was perfectly ok with me.  It has been a hectic couple of weeks, I just wanted some time on the water to decompress.  The wind came and went on the Pasquotank, shifting directions throughout the cool morning.  It was very pleasant.


After lunch, a sub from the grocery store, I anchored and enjoyed the day.  Eventually I laid down for what I thought would be a brief nap.  I fell in to the the deepest of sleeps, so deep that when I woke I did not know where I was.  I think I needed that deep sleep.


Stuart of Dabbler Sails tells me he is making good progress with the new set of sails.  I believe the main is complete and he is now working on the mizzen and jib.  I've contacted Angel at Little Bay Canvas about new sails covers.  Both Stuart and Angel were in agreement that she should not measure for the new covers - made out of sunbrella - until the new sails are bent on.  The old sails, well worn, would not give accurate measurements.  Not only would the new sails have more bulk simply because they will be new, but they are also a heavier material, 5.38 oz for the new versus 4.77 oz for the old.  

I'm in no rush to get the new sails, the current set works just fine.  And I am glad to work with people like Stuart and Angel who want to get the job done right.

4 comments:

MaryLou said...

Time on the water is always good. Not sure what the air and water temps were (we're still in FL) but it sure looks like a beautiful day. I'm sure it was just what you needed.

Steve said...

Thanks, MaryLou, it was just what the doctor ordered. Enjoy Florida!

Shawn Stanley said...

Is that the first day out since retirement?!?! Congrats!

Bluewhalehardware said...

Boat Outfitters provides the best boat hardware accessories with guaranteed. Perfect stainless steel hardware accessories with the best quality available. Just click and buy great offers.

https://bluewhalehardware.com/