Tuesday, February 4, 2020

bend tests and other measurements


That is 16 pounds of led tied to a line and hanging from SPARTINA's mizzen mast.  Stuart of Dabbler Sails is making a new set of sails for me.  He tells me the mainsail is complete and is now working on the mizzen and jib.  A bend test, which measures the amount of bend at three points on the mast, combined with his experience, will help him design the sail to match the boat.  


Stuart also needed a couple of measurements for the jib, both the size of the hanks on the current sail and the size of the forestay.  From measurements and memory I believe the forestay is 1/8" 1x19 stainless steel.


Stuart also suggested I look into sail covers to put on the sails when the boat is docked.  Currently my sail covers are on the sails only after the rig is broken down and stowed.  I have been spending more time on the water, more days and weeks where I leave SPARTINA on the water for evening and early morning sails.  Covering up those sails will protect them from the sun.  I've got an email off to my friend Angel at Little Bay Canvas - she and her crew made my boom tent - to see what she can do for me.

Can't wait to see the new sails.

1 comment:

Rik_Studio said...

I know the feeling when Stuart makes sails for you... It is like a Santa Claus feeling, waiting, anticipating, knowing it will be good... It is great to have access to such craftsmen like him.
My sails are not sailed as much as yours, so i have to hold on getting in his order pipeline.
How many more days waiting? ;)