Sunday, August 19, 2018

no b.s. breakfasts and other foods

I find myself ahead of schedule on food supplies for the fall sail.  I've been experimenting and testing with some different kinds of foods.  Here are some of the foods for this sail.  


Above are the RXBARs that, along with a cup of fruit, will be breakfast.  They are simple food bars, a mixture of egg whites, some nuts, dates and peanuts.  They are more substantial than a granola bar but not as heavy as a Cliff Bar.  


On last fall's sail I enjoyed a "Flavored Beef Stick, Chunked and Formed" from the "Menu 18" MRE given to me while working with a US Army artillery squad.  I found a similar product, though not so clinically described, at Amazon.  TANKA BARS are made by Native Americans in South Dakota, which I think is pretty cool.  Smoked buffalo meat and cranberries sound like an interesting combination for an afternoon snack.


I have become a fan of Chimes Ginger Chews, finding them first at REI and now buying packs of them through Amazon.  Ginger has been a favorite for years, sometimes for cooking but mostly in the dried and sugared version.  It tastes good and can calm the stomach.  The name Ginger Chews is a bit of a misnomer, you really don't chew on them.  Like a hard candy, you suck on them.  I guess calling them Ginger Sucks never quite made it past the marketing department.


And of course Italian tuna for lunches.  There are three brands I have tried, all of them good.  Callipo is the most readily available to me so I go with that.

Dinner will be either fresh caught striper or freeze dried meals, many still from the supplies sent to me by Graeme and Webb.  

Good sailing and fine dining, I can't wait.

No comments: