Saturday, August 18, 2018

the mural


Yesterday I received this photograph showing the new mural on the Nauticus pier and SPARTINA catching a light breeze.

I left the boat on the Elizabeth River for six days, sneaking away from work to sail four of those days.

During the week I met an otter who seemed to enjoy leaving muddy paw prints on the foredeck and the boom tent.  My fake rope snake kept him off the boat the following days.

I took a young man sailing.  He texted his request to go sailing a few months ago from an army base in the Syrian desert.  I try to help out when I can.


A young woman walking along the water's edge joined me for the nicest sail of the week.  She turned out to be a photographer and documentary film maker, and also the granddaughter of a man I knew a couple of decades ago.  Small world.

And I finally met Lucius, the source of photographs taken from the 17th floor of a waterfront building that sometimes showed up on my phone.  One of the photographs, he explained to me, was taken by holding up his phone to the eye piece of his binoculars.  Certainly a different way of looking at things.

It was an enjoyable week on the water, filled with the unexpected.

No comments: