Wednesday, August 12, 2015

northwest wind


There was a beautiful, steady northwest wind as I walked along the waterfront this morning, a wind that would have been perfect to sail outside from Chincoteague to Wachapreague Inlet.  I can only hope to have a similar breeze in about five weeks.  


I've begun doing little chores, though I should not call them chores as I enjoy them, to get ready for the trip.
  • photographed and printed out charts of the eastern shore barrier islands south of Wachapreague Inlet.  I'll mark the channels and note my waypoints on the charts.
  • bought two more freeze dried meals, Mountain House beef stroganoff and chili mac with cheese, I should have enough for the trip
  • bought 36 fruit cups of varying varieties and stored them in the food jars
  • added the oyster knife to the cook kit
  • updated my SPOT profile
There is much left to do, including
  • buying a new VA fishing license, which will work in Maryland waters too
  • check battery supply
  • check with the ramp at Cape Charles, my alternative launch point should the winds not be favorable
  • buy fruits and nuts 
  • start sorting through clothes and safety gear
  • register for the Mid Atlantic Small Craft Festival


The photograph at top shows a group of classic Chesapeake Bay Buy Boats tied up in Coinjock, which was my reason for sailing down on the North River last weekend.  Aboard the F.D. Crockett was longtime friend Curt and new friends John and Vera England.  Also in the fleet was the Thomas J., which I saw and photographed at Rolph's Wharf many years ago.  



No comments: