Tuesday, March 4, 2014

an easy day??


Paul wrote on SandyBottom's blog Sunday night that Dawn might do an easy day of paddling yesterday.

He said there were reasons for that.  From the blog...

"Considerations: she slept for 4 hours Saturday night, woke up Sunday morning and put on her cold damp gear, paddled into the wind most of the day,  will be protected from weather tonight on the inside route, tomorrow there will be more paddling into a head wind."

That easy day started, it appears from her Spot, at at 7:20 a.m. at Wiggins Pass and ended at Chokoloskee at about 1:45 a.m.  If I'm doing the math correctly that is a little over 18 hours of paddling.  An easy.  Right.

Kristen finished her day at 10:48 p.m. after 16-plus hours on the water, camping on an islet near Santina Bay.

Both paddlers, I suspect, are traveling in groups, I mention Dawn and Kristen as they are the only two that I know and I don't have tracking url's for the others.  Paul earlier said Dawn was with Hammerstroke, Sundance and GoldenSun.  I've got to admire all these paddlers for the endurance, not to mention the ability to pack gear and supplies for several days into a kayak.  (It makes me think that I could eliminate some of the gear I carry on Spartina and do just fine.)


The most recent Spot marks from Dawn and Kristen are from, respectively, five and eight hours ago.  I'm sure they are getting some rest.  Maybe today will be another easy day.  The wind appears to be light as they enter the Everglades.

No comments: