Sunday, May 4, 2014

a kiss, uncaught


We get a lot of waves from the people at Town Point Park.  A glass of wine in one hand - it is a wine festival after all - and a wave with the other hand as Spartina sails about 30 yards off the seawall.  I can hear music from the man on the stage near the Schooner Virginia.  Brightly colored spring clothes, women wearing broad-brimmed hats as if it is derby day.  It must be this year's fashion.  Everyone is smiling and having fun.  People take photographs of us, and they gather in groups to take photographs of themselves.  Three young women sit on the edge of the water.  One points to Spartina, they all wave.  I wave back.  The girl in the middle puts her hand to her lips and throws a kiss across the water.  And I don't know what to do. 

Should I reach out with my arms to catch it?  Should I throw a kiss back to the woman, not much older than my daughters, that I do not know?

I smile at her, look away and push the tiller over. 



4 comments:

Rik said...

Spartina did catch it...

Steve said...

Yes, you are right. I now see that she was aiming at the boat, with the three sails gently drawing.

steve

Patrick Hay said...

You did right to be cautious. You never know what you might catch from a girl on the quayside.

Steve said...

Good point. But she did, in fact, look like a very nice young lady.