Thursday, September 26, 2019

almost ready / a lot of memories

I have packed all the food, checked all the batteries, cleared the memory cards in the cameras.

A marina near the ramp in Cambridge will let me park my jeep and trailer on their property, giving me a pro-rated storage fee.  (Someone tried to steal my trailer last year when I left it in the lot at the ramp.)

I have changed the interval shooting on the GoPro back to a frame every two seconds.  I had experimented with shoot at 2 frames per second and that was just too much with no noticeable improvement in results.


I have packed my mango drysuit in a dry bag.  The weather should be warm and comfortable, the water not too cold yet.  I did, however, spend hours sailing to Rock Hall about this time last year in a cold rain and remember wishing I had better protection.  I will have the drysuit with me and hope not to need it.


The forecast for the first few days of the trip is excellent.

-------------------------------------------


I was back on Ocracoke a few days ago, the lengthy recovery of the island just beginning.  Out in a parking was a pile of 11,000 cubic yards of what was technically called "construction debris."  A woman at the site referred to it more accurately as a lot of memories.  This pile was just a tiny portion of the debris left by Hurricane Dorian.  The streets in the village are lined with appliances, furniture, rugs, tree limbs still waiting to be picked up.  In spite of the destruction around them, the islanders still smiled, the volunteers still volunteered.  And life goes on. 

No comments: