Thursday, March 26, 2020

quality quarantine time


Today, with a warm, sunny afternoon, I raised the masts, bent on the new sails and the new sail covers.  The only sail I raised was the main, I wanted to see how it set.  And it set very well.  My thanks to Stuart at Dabbler Sails.  The sail covers, made by Angel and her crew at Little Bay Canvas, fit perfectly.  


Although SPARTINA looks ready to sail, she is not.  There is some painting to be done and work remains to be done on the motor mount.  

Also I am not ready to sail.  I think there is a responsibility to isolate and stay close to home these days.  Anyone who does not believe that might do well to read this story in The NY Times.

When will the time be right?  I don't know.  A few weeks?  Maybe more?  Something might happen, the mood might change and I will wake one day thinking "I ought to go sailing."  When that day comes, I will be ready for it.

Be safe, be healthy.




7 comments:

MaryLou said...

One day at a time. Marina is closed so we can't get to the boat which is still on the hard. Lots to do here though. Fortunately, the list of pre-launch tasks is very short this year. Meanwhile, we are hunkering down.

steve said...

that day will come; we will venture to the ramp, say hi to people we haven't seen for some time and enjoy their presence, humour and thoughts; we will launch, set sail and in those few moments as sails whisper, flap and fill, we will give heartfelt thanks for what we have in our lives and prayers to everyone around the world.
Take care Steve, stay safe. Best wishes to your family and friends

Amos said...

I would think virus tranmission at a boat ramp would be extremely small based on the WHO report on how the virus spreads (itspreads among people in close proximity in closed environments).

Steve said...

I agree. But right now it is a mindset for me. Isolate, stay close to home. One day it will be the right day to go sailing.

Campbell said...

She looks really smart with those sail covers. I was planning on a furler, but might stick to good old fashioned hanks after seeing Spartina. Boat ramps were full here in Melbourne yesterday, and I agree that it doesn't really set the right mindset that our community needs.

Steve said...

I had thought of a furler too, know a couple people who had them. I can see the value but prefer the simplicity. Someday there will be a right time. Maybe in a few weeks when we understand this better. steve

Tom said...

Weekend weather forecast here in my corner of North Carolina: 85F, 10-12ish breeze, perfect. But then I think of my single-handed sailing. I've never had a problem, but if I did then I can't call for help. Put someone at risk because of my desire to sail? No... better to enjoy the sunshine doing some more boatwork. The wind and water can wait, it's always there.