Wednesday, August 17, 2022

time for some maintenance


That's SPARTINA reflected in the water at the ramp Monday morning.  Got down to the basin before 8:00 a.m. and snuck out before the scheduled 10:00 a.m. arrival of a cruise ship.  As I slid the boat on to the trailer I found the water to the noticeably cooler than just a few weeks ago.  The seasons are beginning to change.


A lot of the maintenance involves spots like this on the mizzen and main booms and also on the main mast.  Some places will need sanding to bare wood, epoxy and varnish, others will just need some fresh varnish.  There are a couple of fittings that I'll remove and reinstall, drilling out the holes and epoxying in mahogany dowels to give me a fresh spot for new screws, etc.  Plus some tiny adjustments to the rigging, always doing a little bit of that.  And touch up the bottom paint too.


 Final project will be washing the sails.  They have been exposed to the elements quite a bit this year and I want to clean them up a bit.

It all means a few weeks off the water, longer than I would like.  Next time I launch it will be in Cambridge for the fall cruise.  

2 comments:

Clark said...

All part of the adventure!

Shawn Stanley said...

Looking good Steve, I appreciate your attention to detail!