Saturday, September 30, 2023

the trip so far


Good trip so far.  Five days of sailing.  A lot of wind, not so much sun.  No complaints. 


Day two was the only sunny day, sailing from Parks Neck on the Honga River to Pry Cove on South Marsh Island. 


Otherwise lots of overcast. Apparently a low pressure system is trapped off the coast by a high pressure system to the north.  Hopefully that situation will resolve itself by tomorrow. 


Yesterday I attempted to sail north from the Honga River to the Little Choptank.  I could handle the strong north wind with mizzen, jib and double-reefed main. But the steep waves, often coming three in a row, would nearly bring SPARTINA to a halt.  I got the feeling we wouldn’t make the Little Choptank until after dark, so fell off to the Patuxent River.  Now anchored at Solomons Island, I’ll take a weather day and wait for less wind and more sun on Sunday.

Oh, and one other highlight from the trip, listening to the Orioles win the American League East.  Go Os!




 

1 comment:

Shawn Stanley said...

Steve! I see your boat in Solomons..if a crazy guy in a blue powerboat comes by hollering...that's me!