Monday, January 22, 2024

test sail, unexpected company


Last time I saw Hannah was a few years ago on the Schooner VIRGINIA in Cape Charles.  She had just completed a doctorate and was soon heading to Australia.  The boat's crew was off to a party, we sat on the deck and she made us a couple of Dark and Stormies.  The last time I had heard of her was a few months ago when I was told she was in Thailand.  Something to do with looking at a tall ship there.


So I did not recognize her at first as she called to me for the Elizabeth City waterfront.  She was backlit by the afternoon sun and only just recognized her as she called out her name.  I asked if should would like to join me for a sail.  And she did.


My plan for the day was to launch SPARTINA for a test sail, check her rigging and see how the new jib works.  The rigging was good, the new jib excellent.  And the addition of good company for the sail made for an enjoyable afternoon.


 Hope to head south for the winter sail two weeks from today.

No comments: