Friday, March 1, 2024

Sea Islands 2024 track


 Here's the sailing track from Charleston SC to Palatka FL.  An excellent trip.  A little cooler than my past trips down there.  The good thing about that is the cool air comes from north winds and those north winds are perfect for sailing down the ICW.  A total of 19 days on the water, 15 of those days were sailing days.  The others were spent visiting Webb in Hilton Head, waiting out too much wind and waiting out no wind.  SPARTINA performed well.  The new jib was excellent.  The cold weather gear - merino wool thermals, a new merino wool hoodie, wool socks and drysuit - proved to be very important on this trip.  I have had colder individual days on other trips, usually the fall trip on Chesapeake Bay, but overall this was the chilliest sail I have made.  The cold weather gear made it both possible and enjoyable.

2 comments:

Rob Kunzig said...

Thanks for the trip report!
Steve do you use a down or synthetic sleeping bag?
thanks - R

Steve said...

Right now I am using a Montbell down sleeping bag. I have noticed that they are also selling a synthetic "burrow bag" which I think might be worth a look. Steve