It is nteresting to me that on 13 days of this 29 day trip, I ran into people that I knew. Some of this was planned. Our oldest daughter and her husband were going to be camping in the area, so we did plan to get together. I did know that Matto on TRIM and Bobby on LAGNIAPPE would be sailing up in Maine, so we did make an effort to cross paths. Bruce and I had emailed ahead about sailing LOON, but the lobster boil was an unexpected treat.
But there were the chance meetings - George and Pam on the sloop MOONLIGHT; Ruby, my shipmate on the Schooner VIRGINIA; Sarah, the artist who made a beautiful painting of SPARTINA in Oriental months earlier; Michael, who I have come across on each of the last three Maine sails; and Luke, whom I had met on the dock in Southwest Harbor last year and kindly gave me a ride to the grocery.
People have commented that I am a "loner" when it comes to sailing, and that is true. But I really do enjoy, maybe treasure is a better word, these chance meetings along the way. I have run into people I know by chance on my winter cruise down south, the spring sail on Pamlico Sound and the fall sail on Chesapeake Bay.
Someone told me a while ago that the coastal community is about 15 miles wide about 2000 miles long. I think there is some truth to that.

No comments:
Post a Comment